Do I Have a Mould Allergy?

by | Oct 27, 2020 | Mould

If you have been sneezing and wheezing lately, you might be experiencing mould allergy symptoms. Mould spore allergies are quite common and occur when people experience an immune system response when exposed to mould. Mould is present in the outdoor air, but it can become a health issue when the indoor airborne mould spores are elevated.

Common symptoms of a mould spore allergy include itching, sneezing, wheezing, runny nose or stuffed-up nose, rash, hives, headaches, shortness of breath, sore throat, or itchy irritated watery eyes. Symptoms can range from very mild to extremely severe. The segment of the population with a pre-existing health condition, such as asthma, tend to experience more severe symptoms, as do small children and the elderly. The experts still cannot identify why some peoples’ immune system responds so strongly to mould while others’ do not.

How do you know if you have a mould spore allergy?

Mould allergy symptoms are nearly identical to symptoms of other environmental allergies, like pollen and dust mites, so it is usually not possible to determine exactly what you are allergic to based on your symptoms. If you suspect you have an allergy to mould you should see your doctor. Your doctor can refer you to an allergy specialist who can administer testing to help determine exactly what you are allergic to. Let your doctor know if you have been exposed to mould in your environment. If you are not sure if you have mould in your environment, you can have a certified mould tester test your environment for mould. If you are experiencing symptoms related to a mould allergy, you should limit your exposure to mould as much as possible.

What if you are allergic to mould?

Your doctor can prescribe medication to help decrease your mould allergy symptoms. If your symptoms are severe, your doctor may refer you to an allergist who can perform injections that will decrease your body’s allergic reaction to mould. Avoid exposure to mould as much as possible in order to prevent your symptoms from getting more severe. Any mould in your environment will need to be killed as soon as possible. Doctors usually recommend against cleaning up the mould yourself, since clean up will release hundreds to thousands of airborne mould spores, ultimately making your symptoms much worse. A professional mould company will not only treat the visible mould but will also kill the airborne mould spores throughout your entire indoor environment. Most professional mould companies offer free on-site consultations.